ISO 45001 Implementation For A First-tier Automotive Manufacturer
ISO 45001 Implementation Case Study. When a renowned first-tier automotive manufacturer employing over 400 people decided to implement the Occupational Health and Safety Management System ISO 45001, we were there to help from start to completion of the project. The customer already held both ISO 9001 Quality and ISO 14001 Environmental Certification and had well-established Occupational Health and Safety processes, but wanted to achieve ISO 45001 to further demonstrate the effective management of risk within the business.
The numerous business gains associated with ISO 45001 Certification included:
- Consistent, robust processes for managing occupational health and safety.
- Improved employee awareness and engagement.
- A culture of continuous improvement.
- Potentially fewer accidents and illnesses.
- Reassurance to employees, and stakeholders.
- Rigorous approach to regulatory compliance.
- Competitive differentiation and advantage.
- Enhanced organizational resilience and reputation.
We supported the customer throughout the entire implementation process to the successful project conclusion resulting in the customer being awarded ISO 45001 in February 2020 with no non-conformances.
The key actions we completed during the project involved:
- Completion of an ISO 45001 Gap Analysis to highlight gaps between the company’s existing occupational health & safety arrangements and the requirements of the ISO 45001 standard.
- Producing and managing an ISO 45001 Implementation Project Plan to address all the actions identified within the Gap Analysis.
- Establishing company health and safety objectives.
- Puttin in place a company Integrated Management Systems Manual merging the requirements of ISO 9001,
- ISO 14001 and ISO 45001 standards.
- Establishing and completing a schedule of internal audits of the occupational health and safety management system across the company covering all the clauses within the ISO 45001 standard.
- Providing additional training on site including: ISO 45001 Internal Auditor, Risk Assessment and Fire Marshal courses.
- Completing a full legal compliance audit against the Compliance Obligations identified in the Legal Register service provided by us.
- Full review and update of existing health and safety documentation (policy, procedures and safe systems of work) and the creation of new procedures for: Legionella, Work at Height, Fire, First Aid and Ionising Radiation.
- Completing specialist Fire, DSEAR and EMF assessments.
- Improving the process and management of Risk Assessment, Incident reporting, COSHH, Emergency response, Asbestos, Contractor Management and Employee Consultation and Participation.
- Establishing and delivering ISO 45001 presentations to the entire workforce to prepare the company for the certification process.
- Reviewing the company risk assessments to ensure all significant risks had been assessed.
- Full support and participation during the 3rd party ISO 45001 pre-assessment audit and final certification audit.
The successful ISO 45001 certification was a great achievement for both the customer and us, and has provided a robust process for managing the occupational health and safety within the company.